We have been lucky to enjoy a lull in the sport season runaround for the past couple of months. But, alas, it starts again tomorrow! Zach has joined the track team, and has his first meet tomorrow. I called him after his first practice, anxious to hear how things went. He said they ran alot! (Big surpise!) I then asked what events he practiced, since there is quite a wide variety to choose from. He said he went with distance, because he didn't what it was and not many people went to do it. What a way to decide! He has always been one to choose the road less travelled, though. Two days later, he said he was also going to try pole vault. Now, if you know Zach, you will remember that he has his grandpa's coordination, which is not an asset. He is also built like his dad, with the bulk of his mass settling in the middle. This is not a combination you would look for in a pole vaulter. That being said, much can change in the physique of a 12 year old over the next few years, so I encouraged and applauded his adventurous spirit. I mean, what boy wouldn't want to learn how to sail through the air and land gracefully in a 3 foot bed of styrofoam? So our family will bundle up and venture to Mansfield Malabar Middle School to watch Zach take off with the crack of a pistol in the 400 m dash, which by the way is my LEAST favorite event to run! I spoke with him tonight about the impending event, and I found myself being the consumate coach, delivering last minute advice that will be forgotten as soon as the starter says, "Runner's take your mark!" Good luck, Zach! We will be waiting for you at the finish line...
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.