Seth has always been a very strong swimmer. I can't remember a time he was afraid of the water. In fact, when he was 1 or 2, I had to put a life jacket on him whenever we were near water, because he would just jump in without regard to safety!
Although this past summer he has learned how to float and be an independent swimmer, he was afraid to go in the deep end of the pool at the YMCA without a "floatie" on because of how dark the water is. He didn't understand that he'd float the same as if he was in the 4 feet where he can't stand!
Well, last weekend, we had a breakthrough. Zach and Dylan were swimming in the deep end, so, of course, Seth wanted to follow. He started out swimming with Zach, but soon realized that it was actually the same as the shallow end and became independent. He began imitating the older boys diving and within minutes (and a few pointers from mom), was diving with the best of them! I mean he was getting up on the starting blocks and jumping up and diving like he had been doing it his whole life! I wish I could take credit for his achievement, but he really just watches and does it himself.
I wish following Christ were this easy for me. I feel like I try and fail so many times that I'm going to go under and not come back up. I'm so glad I have people around me to watch me and pull me back to safety when I need it. I have recently realized that living in Christ is the most challenging undertaking of my life (yes, even behind parenthood). Fortunately, I believe that one day I will also receive the greatest reward for my efforts... eternity.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.